Early Eller Property in Rowan County, NC

Here is a look at Eller lands in Rowan County, North Carolina, based on a map believed to be about around 1815 (this is a very large file) or later. These indicate the earliest land purchases and were published in 1995 by James W. “Bill” Kluttz. These maps are largely based on the work done in 1950 by David Rendleman.

For each piece of property, the deed was read by Kluttz and plotted to scale. (Listed on the map within the property lines are the deed book and page number of the earliest deed reference as well as the grantor, grantee and date of the sale. Some secondary purchases, if early, are occasionally listed on the plat as well.)

The Kluttz maps are the property of the Genealogical Society of Rowan County which currently holds the copyright to these maps. They are available online at: http://edithclark.omeka.net/collections/show/15

We have overlaid the Klutz map with the current High Rock Lake which resulted in the damming of the Yadkin River in 1927 and the flooding of parts of the Eller properties.

We also have the 1953 hand-drawn map from David Rendleman which, he says, is based on landowners in 1786; some 29 years earlier than the maps from Mr. Klutz.

There are a number of similarities to the Klutz maps, but it clearly shows: (1) a Jacob Eller property south of Dutch Second Creek that is shown in a different location on the Klutz map, (2) a slightly different location of the other (later) Jacob Eller property, (3) a property belonging to John M. Eller and (4) a part of the Christian property as belonging to Melchior Eller. In 20-plus years, land changes hands and so we don’t doubt that both maps are correct.

map

Rendleman Map


The area developed because of the proximity of the "Indian Trading Path", also known as the "Occaneechi Path" or "Trading Path," also called the "Catawba Path," "Catawba Road," "Indian Road," or "Warriors' Path."

It was a corridor of roads and trails (not just one path) connecting the Piedmont region including Chesapeake Bay (Petersburg, VA), Occaneechi Village (Clarksville, VA), crossing the Yadkin north of Salisbury, then on to the Waxhaws (Charlotte, NC), and Cherokee villages of the Carolinas and Georgia (Augusta, GA).

More Information